Sunday, November 11, 2012

On the road...

  I drive a lot. When I say a lot,  I mean every single day. Some days my distance is small, such as 25 miles one way. And other days my distance is big, such as 80 miles one way. I work as a therapist in the school setting. I travel to area schools to offer Occupational Therapy to students. And I have found a great love and joy in driving.

  Some may think, "Ugh, I would hate to have to commute to work every single day." But, I have found so many sweet blessings that come along with that part of my job. Let me enlighten you all. The first perk of the commuting is me time. This time is directly entitled to me, myself and I. I have found great joy in that time to reflect on the day and drink my coffee ;). The second perk would be the morning sunrises. Some people never leave their homes during the day and miss out on one of God's first blessings of the day. When I see and feel that warmth from the rising sun, I know that He has blessed us with another day to shine our selves. The third perk would be my endless array of changing scenery. Daily my scenery changes from interstate roads to gravel roads. From cornfields to lakes. From rain to snow. My "office on wheels" has great views! ;) The fourth and biggest perk I would say about my commuting for work would be my time with God. I have found Him to be everywhere I look for Him. He is in the music that I listen to on my radio, the sun that I watch rise, the rain on my windshield, the cow in the pasture, and the leading hand in my every move. Pretty amazing job, huh?

  I have found my most healing moments in my life's journey have been on the road. I have cried tears of sadness and wonder. Prayed as I reflected on where He was taking me. Spoke words out loud to God and asked Him many questions as if He was riding in the seat next to me. As well as sang out in worship and prayer. All while in my "office on wheels!"  I honestly look forward to that part of my day because it has been such a life changing part to my healing.

  I can remember driving on Hwy 25, en route to Willow Lake, SD a couple years back. I can remember distinctly the song that was on the radio. It was "Before The Morning" by Josh Wilson. It happened to be on my morning commute. I can remember hearing it for the first time and thinking that those words were God's words to me. I have found that correlation so much in the music that I tune into daily. Do you do that? It often happens when you are searching for the words to say and then, there they are! I have a goofy memory in the fact that I can hear a song and remember where I was when I heard it, or what I was thinking as I heard it, and so on. And I sometimes think that if I didn't drive so much, I wouldn't get the opportunity to hear so many of these wonderful songs. I often sing songs and drive and almost feel as though those words are my words in prayer. Such a powerful, wonderful thing.

  As I count my commuting as a blessing in my daily "job", I also have found another direct companion to that blessing and that is time with God. Do you make time for God? Or do you have time set aside for Him? I have come to realize that my time with God is during that commuting time... As I have illustrated above, it has and is such a blessing and a sweet adventure in my life to know Him and to feel His love and presence in my life. I haven't always made time for Him, or seen that time as important, but through my path and struggles I have found it to be healing, meaningful, wonderful, and gratifying.

 Life is busy...  Try and take a minute each day and talk to Him. He is there. Waiting. Listening.

Blessings.

Sarah

  




No comments:

Post a Comment