Monday, March 28, 2016

Our Journey Continues...

Hello friends and family, 

I feel like we need to get you all up to speed on our current adventures.... 

It simply amazes me how God works in our lives, if we are quiet enough to hear him. I will try my best to paint for you the past few months at the Whipkey household.  It started last October while Barry and I started attending a church group with other married couples. It has been wonderful to get to hear other couples stories, and to meet other couples that share a passion for our Lord. During one of those meetings, the topic of "family planning / number of children" arose. We both shared a little at the meeting, but it was when we were home that we began to dig deeper into the topic. When we welcomed little Elias James into our family 2 years ago, we both just "assumed" that we were done growing our family. We were even so sure about this "assumption", that we sold most of our baby gear. Well, when the question was discussed between Barry and I that fall evening, we both didn't hesitate to say, "we would consider the option, if....." And so that conversation began. 

We would both drop comments or hints in conversation, but with the holidays on the rise, we put it on the back burner. When the holidays wrapped up, we really began to pray. I decided to stop using Facebook as a social media outlet, as I felt that maybe if I was more present in my day to day life, I would be better able to hear what God was trying to say... 

It was a January day that I was just overcome with emotions. We were actually at my parents house, and my mom and I were in the kitchen together. I remember my heart just racing. I remember thinking "what in the world was coming over me?"  I began to share with my mom what was on my heart. I remember saying things like, "Is this just a phase?", "Is this just baby fever?", "Am I nuts?" To saying things to her like... "I feel it so powerfully on my heart that it is scaring me. I feel like we are being called to this. I feel like I am holding myself back. But God is pressing it so hard on my heart." My mom just sat back and listened to me speak. I am sure it was a flood of words for her to comprehend, but she was so calm and reassuring. She said, "Wow, this is pretty powerful sweetie. I think you really need to pray on this, and listen to what God is trying to say for your family." And so we prayed, 

Come February, we both had discussed this topic of growing our family again, but we never got far into the conversation, without some sort of distraction. It was on Valentines weekend that we attended a Marriage Encounter Weekend thru our church. It was a weekend for us. A weekend to reconnect, listen, talk, pray, and really dig deeper into what was on our hearts. We both had an amazing experience. We cried, we laughed and we prayed like we never had. We both come home with a fresh attitude and ready to say "YES!" to God's plan for our lives, no matter that that meant! 

Well, we've officially started the adoption process again! Our home study is in the process as I type these words, and we are thrilled! We called our adoption agency back that we used with Oakley. It was such a special moment. It felt surreal to call them, and to be speaking the words that I never that we would again. But it feels so right. We are so calm and excited about what God has in store for us! We know that the journey will be long, and hard but we are ready!!

With that being said, we’d really appreciate your support in the following ways:

First, we would really appreciate your prayers.  Please pray for the process, for the baby, for the birth family, and for us.  The love and sacrifice required to place a baby for adoption is both heartbreaking and beautiful.  So, please pray for the birth family, and the birth mom as she grapples with this decision.  And please pray for us, that we would draw our strength from God and trust him through this process.

Second, We could use your financial support.  Adoption is quite expensive but we are confident that God will provide, as he always does. We are still amazed at how well we were provided for with Oakley's adoption and know God will make a way again.  If you’d like to support us financially, there are a couple of ways you can do so.

We have a fundraising website: 
 https://www.gofundme.com/atw8bcec   

Or mail us a check if you would prefer that option: 
Barry or Sarah Whipkey
8 Sunrise Drive
Watertown, SD 57201

Lastly, we would love it if you could share our story with others who you think may be interested in supporting us.  Feel free to share our fundraising site on social media or to pass the information along to friends. We know there are so many people out there with a heart for adoption, and we would love for them to share in our story!

Thank you all so much for your support and love!
Barry, Sarah, Oakley and Elias Whipkey​

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! You are awesome people. Marriage Encounter is an awesome experience. I regret terribly that Tim and I chose not to have more children. We closed our hearts to God's desire for us, and that still pains me greatly. I am very excited for you! God bless and may our Holy Mother Mary intercede for you!

    ReplyDelete