Monday, October 28, 2013

Seasons

Good day everyone!

As I reflect and just savor in this crisp, fall weather that we are having here in South Dakota, I just thank God that we have this season. I love it for so many REASONS! From the changing leaves, to the apple and pumpkin picking, to the tastes and smells of this wonderful season! I am glad I live in the Midwest where we have such a beautiful time of year.

Seasons around here - come and go. Some last WAY to long and others are cut short, but all in all they are all here for some amount of time and we are all thankful for each one in its own special way.

With that reflection of "seasons of weather" makes me think of "seasons of life". It amazes me to think of how fast the seasons of weather happen and also the seasons of life. If life had a pause button, I think I may just press it. I am just loving this season of life we are in. Barry and I frequently look to one another in wonderment of the little man that our 2 year old son Oakley has become. He is always learning and talking. The other day he brought out his favorite book from when he was tiny. The book is a Baby Einstein book that is currently in 3 parts, as we have read it so many times that the binding is gone. Here was our little baby, reading this book to US! It was such a cool moment in our parenting journey. He was pointing to all the pictures and naming things from a peacock to a robot! Blew my mind! :) But I was oh so proud of him!

Another moment that made my heart just smile was another "Oakley-ism". We were driving in the car, just him and I. We were traveling to daycare as we normally do during the week. On our morning commutes, Oakley talks the entire time. I just love it. He tells me about the corn field and the soybean field, the church that we pass, the stoplights that we stop at and which color light we wait for before we GO, and we count how many school buses we pass before we make it to our final destination. Well, one day in particular he was quite. And so was I. We both must have just been pondering life. When from the back seat a little voice pipes up and says, "Don't worry, mommy." I looked up and looked back at him and he was just looking at me with his big blue eyes and smiling. I smiled right back with a little tear in my eye and said, "I won't, baby."

This little man has taught me more in his first 2 years of life than I would ever imagined. Here he was just watching me from a distance and thought to say those words. It made me realize that there is really NOTHING to worry about in life. God will provide for all that we need. Always. I have prayed for that very thing, to not worry many times in the last years. It amazes me that in this season of life that our little son has such a big heart and is wise beyond his years.

It is easy to worry and to anticipate the unknown in fear. But I try to just savor in this moment, this season if you will. When worry or fear seem to cloud my vision I often try and look to Barry and Oakley as they are in my present moment and they are all I need. I then pray. I often visualize Jesus in the season or moment of life that I am worried about. He is always there. He goes before us. He is always with us. So comforting to know that he will never leave us. Even more comforting that a cozy sweater on a fall day! :)

Blessings.
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment